Friday, October 22, 2010

Research Proposal

From this class we've been talking about identity categorizing through the internet and I started to think about Facebook and the affects of what the website has come to be today.  Oh, Facebook you say, that's an easy way out for a research paper.  I think not.  I'm interested in facebook and how its technology has made us lose identity, making us conformists, i.e. "If you don't have a facebook, you must be a loser and don't exist." You're considered "normal" if you have a Facebook - categorizing already.  I have been a FACE on facebook for the past 6 years now.  I can honestly say I don't remember what life without its distraction was truly like.  Facebook has become an encyclopeida of objectifying people through groups and fans and "liking".  How do these categories come to exist? How do people on facebook belong or do not belong to them? Surveillance, privacy - privacy, surveillance.  How is surveillance and privacy linked to the social categories we make on Facebook? Facebook is a lack of face to face communication such as skype.  How has facebook disembodied us? How has Facebook destroyed relationships - cause I know damn well that facebook made me go crazy when my boyfriend went off to college - facebook gave me information, not the individual.  Facebook has destroyed friendships for me, ones I thought would last forever.  Facebook has changed what the written word has always meant - facebook is monotone, facebook is emotionless.

I have found several books in the library and through other libraries addressing these questions.  And I would like to interview facebook users, asking them how life was prior to using facebook.  Will they even remember?

We are always being watched.  And yet we know this about facebook, and we know how it shapes how we behave towards others, it has shaped our relationships.  For my research paper, I'd like to argue all of these aspects; That through technology our relationships with other people on facebook has changed how we view the world, how we view people. What you see, is what you get. 

3 comments:

  1. I have always found this very fascinating, and have covered it in a lot of sociology theory discussions, especially as technology as surveillance. I think delving into face-book would be interesting but very tricky. You could write an entire paper about each question you posed above and you might want to focus on one that interests you the most or you think is the most important. Also, I'm not sure if this implies to our classroom setting, and Courtney may have to correct me on this, but you mention wanting to do interviews and I do know there are a lot of University and overall regulations about interviewing people, however I think in for class you just need signed permission from interviews and not the University. . . ? Either way I think it would be a lot of fun to talk to people about this and research it more, good luck and I look forward to checking back and seeing where you take this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting paper idea, and you should follow up with Delia, the Women's Studies Coordinator about doing interviews. I'm not sure what the protocol is. A great book on the migration of people from MySpace to Facebook is The Young and the Digital. That migration is a fascinating story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and elimination of diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome lifestyle Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and overall well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I was diagnosed with diabetes .It was at work and  feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a cyclometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescriptions like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides,Thiazolidinediones but Could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain but bring back the pain again. i found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +234 802  501 2866   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, GOUT, PROGENITOR, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , TUMOR, HEART HEALTH, MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE. HEARING  LOSSDr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal anybody that comes to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2348025012866

    ReplyDelete